Workshop Assistant/Production Sewist
Looptworks is an impact brand. We believe in the power of design as a tool to convert waste, excess, and broken systems into amazing solutions and products. Our efforts will lead to zero waste and closed loop solutions for both ourselves and every partner brand we engage with. Along the way, we will conserve water, protect our air, and positively impact people. We will inspire a generation to practice mindful consumption while innovating with Fortune 500 brands for big time solutions. Our founding ethos is framed by one simple concept: Use only what already exists. It is the environmentally responsible way to create quality products that are visually stunning and functionally superior while saving water and fresh air.
Position Title: Workshop Assistant/Production Sewist
Supervisory Responsibility: No
Reports To: Production Manager
Pay Status: Non-Exempt; Part-Time
Looptworks is looking for a Workshop Assistant/Production Sewist to join our Production team. This role will work with the product development team to fulfill the current production needs. Examples of production needs include cutting, kitting, production sewing, and working from tech packs for sample construction. The position will vary day-to-day of cutting & kitting for small batch production orders to sewing prototypes and revising patterns. The role will ensure on-time production cycle and deliverables are met. The Workshop Assistant/Production Sewist brings a strong sense of pride and quality to their work and contributes to building and improving efficient processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspires a team with passionate collaboration.
- Possesses excellent communication skills with ability and experience in communicating to a wide variety of audiences.
- Communicates in a professional and constructive manner and follows through on communications in a timely manner.
- Acts as a steward of company resources and Vision/Mission/Values by modeling and promoting sustainable behaviors/operations.
- Understands and models company culture. Works to build community among staff and with other departments.
- Delivers exceptional service and demonstrates friendly and attentive behaviors with internal and external customers.
- Embraces change and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrates dependability, organization and follow through.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility, and creativity in problem-solving and is solutions oriented.
- Demonstrates self-awareness and seeks opportunities for professional growth. Seeks and responds to feedback to continuously improve performance.
Position Specific Functions:
- Assists with cutting and kitting.
- Sews prototypes and mockups.
- Revises patterns.
- Sews small batch production.
- Produces high quality and detailed work.
- Communicates and helps develop production process improvements.
- Maintains a zero waste to landfill strategy for the workshop.
- Assists with development and production requirements as needed.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: office equipment, computer, printer, scanner, sewing machinery, other product creation tools.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 2 years of experience in sample making and/or production sewing.
- Thorough understanding of product lifecycle from conception to execution.
- Experience with all industrial machinery including cutting, skiving, hardware application, constructing, and tooling with leather for production quantities.
- Excellent knowledge of various types of industrial cutting tools and sewing machines with all stitching solutions.
- Proficiency in bag and accessory construction, including experience with pattern creation and revisions.
- Experience sewing with a variety of materials, particularly leather of various weights, canvas, and lightweight knits.
- Ability to read tech packs and execute samples as designed.
- Strong critical thinking skills to improve upon ease and efficiency of sewing construction while maintaining design intentions.
- Keen understanding of the Imperial measurement system down to and 1/8 of an inch.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment and switch between tasks with ease.
- Computer experience with Google Sheets, MS Office, and Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, bend, stoop, reach, push and pull, twist and turn.
- Occasionally required to lift and carry 1-20 pounds, lift 21-50 pounds, push and/or pull 1-40 pounds; may require fine finger manipulations and repetitive motions with hands and feet.
- Includes working in an office environment.
- Typically maintains a moderate noise level.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform. Looptworks reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include "Workshop Assistant/Production Sewist" in the subject line.